PVT R.W. Peete

PVT. R.W. Peete
Nurnberg Post Stockade

U.S 53061646 APO 696 New York, NY

May 1951 - Jan. 1953

I received 45 letters between Apr. 1951 and Apr. 1952 .. at which time we discontinued corresponding..probably because I was dating, seeing other boys...and he had met a young German woman whom, his step-mother reported, he planned to bring back with him. Because of the things his sister told me I assumed all was lost between us. SO...it was with much surprise and joy that when he returned, alone, our feelings toward one another were the same as they had been when he left...or perhaps, even deeper...and we married 3 months later... and remained happily together for the next 58 years.


Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Letter No 5

June 26, 1951
Sonthofen Military Sub-Post

H Pumkin,
   Just read your letter dated the 20th. again and it seems as if we both feel the same way.  Especially about letter writing.  I go nuts every time I get a letter from you, yet I hate to write. The reason, I can never seem to say the things that I would like to.  I'm afraid that if I told you just how in love with you I am that it would sound mushy.  Then again, I think of how I feel when you write that you love me.  Nothing matters with me as long as you do love me.  When I get my discharge from this army, if you will let me, I'll be with you every minute possible.  Actually, I am now, in spirit.  This probably sounds giddy coming from me, but it expresses vaguely just how much I love you.
   You say you aren't having much fun going out with other boys, that you're miserable.  It's selfish and inconsiderate of me, but I'm glad.  You know how the song goes, quote "I'm sorry, but I'm glad you're lonely, cause if you weren't you really wouldn't care."  It expresses what I feel.  Is this being too jealous?  I know that I told you to go with other guys but actually I'd rather you didn't.  Jealous joker, aren't I.  You don't know the half of it darling.
   And those pictures you sent, I'm crazy about the one of you standing by yourself. It's a wonderful picture of you.  Lucky me, to have such a sweet young lady.  Remind me to thank Margaret for introducing us, and how about telling your mother many thanks for letting you go with me.
   I'll never forget the day we met.  When we were introduced you looked at me as if to say, "What it it, or maybe, if I don't feed it it will go away."  I'm surely glad that you didn't refuse me a date.
   And there was the date that I had the bad luck.  First we had a flat, next we went to the movie and it was slightly boring and then it rained on us.  That could have been a very dull evening if you hadn't been so delightful.  I have fun just being near you though.
   I should probably tell you about this country and some of the latest events that have taken place but this letter is devoted entirely to telling you how I feel toward you.
   It's about time for mail call so until I see you again stay as sweet as you are and if I've taken too much for granted or said anything I shouldn't have, disregard same.
                You are the one girl for me.
                    I love you,
                    Bob
P.S. I'm going to slip in on you one of these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment