PVT R.W. Peete

PVT. R.W. Peete
Nurnberg Post Stockade

U.S 53061646 APO 696 New York, NY

May 1951 - Jan. 1953

I received 45 letters between Apr. 1951 and Apr. 1952 .. at which time we discontinued corresponding..probably because I was dating, seeing other boys...and he had met a young German woman whom, his step-mother reported, he planned to bring back with him. Because of the things his sister told me I assumed all was lost between us. SO...it was with much surprise and joy that when he returned, alone, our feelings toward one another were the same as they had been when he left...or perhaps, even deeper...and we married 3 months later... and remained happily together for the next 58 years.


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Letter No 1

June 4, 1951
Camp Kilmer, N.J.


Hi Honey,
    Just a note to remind you of my love and how much I miss you.  I could write an epic on my devotion to you but it would be mushy and you probably wouldn't appreciate the sentiment...so I'll just tell you about the trip.

   We arrived in Evansville, Ind. about 3 in the a.m. Thurs. morning.  We had 5 hours to look the town over before the train left for Terra Haute.  We traversed Terra Haute for 2 hours then moved on to Columbus, Ohio.  After we boarded the troop train we didn't get off until we arrived at Kilmer.  In the process of our journey we passed through Kentucky, Indiana, West Va., Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and then went into New York on pass.  Lets discuss New York City for a moment.  There is a town for discussion!  It has whole heaps of everything a body could want or desire.

    We went to the Paramount Theater on Broadway and saw Ray McKinley, his band and vocalist, Peggy Lee.  She's a dream, especially when she sings something like "I Apologize" or  "Too Young".  I thought of you all the time she performed.  I'm not homesick at all but I wish I were with you.

    There isn't much I can tell you except I love you honey.  That constitutes this letter sweetheart so I'll cease for tonight.

                                   Sweet dreams Sweetheart                     
                                           Bob Peete

P.S. Please pardon the penmanship and stationery, Kitten.
Write as often as you can, sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment