PVT R.W. Peete

PVT. R.W. Peete
Nurnberg Post Stockade

U.S 53061646 APO 696 New York, NY

May 1951 - Jan. 1953

I received 45 letters between Apr. 1951 and Apr. 1952 .. at which time we discontinued corresponding..probably because I was dating, seeing other boys...and he had met a young German woman whom, his step-mother reported, he planned to bring back with him. Because of the things his sister told me I assumed all was lost between us. SO...it was with much surprise and joy that when he returned, alone, our feelings toward one another were the same as they had been when he left...or perhaps, even deeper...and we married 3 months later... and remained happily together for the next 58 years.


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Letter No. 34

October 19, 1951
Nurnberg, Germany

Dearest Charlene,

    Received a most wonderful and welcome letter from you today and while I'm on the subject of the days events let me say it has been a busy oneAside from the administrative  duties of the processing department I've been driving a two and a half ton truck, also a jeep. The stockade is temporarily short of chauffeurs and I happen to be a qualified driver.

    I can't imagine why my letters aren't getting to you. There must be a tie up in the mail system somewhere between Nurnberg, Germany and Covington, Tennessee.  Usually it takes only 4 days or five at the most.  Lately it has been 7 and 8 days in transit.

   Got a problem.  I have a friend name of Roger DiRocco.  He's an Italian from upper New York State and he would like to correspond with some pretty young maid or maiden.  He's quite handsome, dark brown eyes, black wavy hair, good physique.  Question?  Do you have a, or any girl friends that would care to correspond with this soldier?  He, aside from being dashing, good looking, witty and utterly charming, is unusually intelligent.  Aha, I foresee a question.  If he has all these qualities afore mentioned why doesn't he have a girl back home?   Answer..he joined the army at age 15, has been in Germany 4 years.  He speaks 3 languages fluently, German, Italian and English.  If you know of some young lady that would be willing to correspond send me her name and address and he'll write first.  Would you do that for me? huh!

    So you only weight 116 lbs now.  No appetite, caused by excessive smoking.  Remedy, quit smoking.  You can if you so desire and it would make me very happy.  I don't like to think of you ruining your health.  You have such a beautiful complexion and smoking is harmful to ones skin. Don't misinterpret this.  I'm not trying to act holy or righteous. It's because I love you and want you to be well and happy. Will you quit smoking, darling, for your own sake, and for me.

    I'm getting a sample of what its like being separated from the people I love most.  You can quote me as saying "I'm not enjoying my trip to Germany".

    I'm going to close for tonight, more tomorrow.  Good night .
Sweet dreams, sweetheart.

Love, Bob

Hi darling,
    This isn't tomorrow, its the night of the 23rd.  An apology would be in order but I'm sure that you're tired of apologies.  We have been working like mad to prepare for 100 new prisoners and I haven't had any spare time in which I could write. By the end of the week I'll have an office of my own  .  I am now in charge of all confinements.

    Saw a magnificent movie Sunday night.  Jim Thorpe, All American.  Reminded me of my high school days and all the sports I didn't participate in.  It would have been nice if you and I had been in school together.  Childhood sweethearts sounds great doesn't it.

    Hump has accused me of liking this army life but you and I know differently, don't we.

    Kitten,  I'll close again for tonight.  I'll honestly try to write again tomorrow.
                                      You're my everything,
                                                 my all.
                                               Love, Bob


   

No comments:

Post a Comment