PVT R.W. Peete

PVT. R.W. Peete
Nurnberg Post Stockade

U.S 53061646 APO 696 New York, NY

May 1951 - Jan. 1953

I received 45 letters between Apr. 1951 and Apr. 1952 .. at which time we discontinued corresponding..probably because I was dating, seeing other boys...and he had met a young German woman whom, his step-mother reported, he planned to bring back with him. Because of the things his sister told me I assumed all was lost between us. SO...it was with much surprise and joy that when he returned, alone, our feelings toward one another were the same as they had been when he left...or perhaps, even deeper...and we married 3 months later... and remained happily together for the next 58 years.


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Letter No.23

Saturday Aug. 5, 1951
Hi Honey,
Bet you're wondering why I've been so lax in writing this week. Believe me,it wasn't because I didn't want to.  Seems as though everything happened to me at once, and all of it exciting. I won't go into the details though. 
   This has been an uneventful  weekend though, in contrast to the week itself.  St least it was uneventful in comparison to most of the ones I've experienced since arriving here.  There are always fights and wild parties on weekends here in the Nurnberg-Firth area.
Most of the fights are attributed to the 16th. infantry boys.  They are out in the field all week and when they're turned loose it looks like a "Tennessee Sat. Night."
   I thought there were a lot of beer halls there in the states but they 'er outnumbered 3 to 1 here in Germany.  Usually there are 4 on every square block and located on the corners.  In Germany they're also known as gasthouses. I suppose it looks silly of me go to them and drink cokes, but all my buddies drink beer and I enjoy sitting around and talking over "things" and "people".
   I'm glad to hear that Louise is back from Texas.  You must have missed her to no extent, almost as must as I miss you but not quite.  All my dreams seem so futile when I think of the time and distance that separates us. But, again, that's life.  Sometimes I think it's all just a plot to keep me from reaching the unattainable, "perfect happiness.".   I realize now that those hours were the happiest of my life
   Here at the stockade a person can see some of the tragedy in life. Most of the guys in the stockade have Frauleins and its pathetic to see them hanging around just to be near their man.  We, a buddy of mine, came in at 3:30 one morning and there was one just outside the stockade.  We asked her what the trouble was and she told us to mind or own business. So we apologized and hastened on our merry way.  Reason for being out so late...pay day.
   Kitten, its about time to hit the sack so goodnight, pleasant dreams and loads of love.

    I love you,
Bob

P.S.
Please excuse the penmanship.  I'm using a quill pen and Army stationery.
Goodnight again.


It's 2:30 am and Molly decides to come in and see what I'm doing



"we should be sleeping"

No comments:

Post a Comment