PVT R.W. Peete

PVT. R.W. Peete
Nurnberg Post Stockade

U.S 53061646 APO 696 New York, NY

May 1951 - Jan. 1953

I received 45 letters between Apr. 1951 and Apr. 1952 .. at which time we discontinued corresponding..probably because I was dating, seeing other boys...and he had met a young German woman whom, his step-mother reported, he planned to bring back with him. Because of the things his sister told me I assumed all was lost between us. SO...it was with much surprise and joy that when he returned, alone, our feelings toward one another were the same as they had been when he left...or perhaps, even deeper...and we married 3 months later... and remained happily together for the next 58 years.


Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Letter #10

July 11, 1951

Howdy Honey,
   Either the mail service is all fouled up or you've quit writing me.  It has been five days since I received a letter from you. Your last letter dated the 28th. stated that you hadn't heard from me since I left Kilmer so apparently it's the mail service.  I wrote you last night but after reading the letter decided it wasn't what I wanted to say at all.
   We went to C & A again today and my status as an MP has been changed. I am now a disciplinary guard.  That is the same as prison guard and I don't believe that I'm the type that could beat another man over the head with a club, just because he doesn't act just right.
  After this week we'll be able to see some of Europe, maybe.  We've been restricted to the post for the past two weeks and we couldn't do much "milling" on the ship, so you can see that most of our time in the army will be spent in camp.  The reason they won't let us go anywhere is that we have to be taught  how to act toward these German people.  Personally, I think it's a lot of bunk, don't you?
   Hump and I will be split up come Friday, but we'll still be here at Nuremberg.  We're going to Paris on our first 3 day pass.  We intend to fly.  Anything special you'd like me to get you for a souvenir, such as a filmy, sheer, black negligee. Huh?
No kidding, Kitten, if you'd like something special let me know  Don't be shy or proud and say you don't want anything or that anything will do.  I'm frank with you and expect you to be the same with me.
  I'll really be ancient when I get back to the states. You'll have to teach me about all the things that are current, such as what's new on the hit parade, the latest small talk, etc.  It will be lots of fun learning, that is, if you'll be my tutor.
   As you can see my writing ability and punctuation hasn't improved since my first letter, but if you'll bear with me, I'll try to get my points over.
   Another thing kitten, when I write and tell you how I love you and want you near, don't think it's only because I'm 5000 miles away from home and lonely...that isn't the case at all.  If I hadn't met you, more than likely I'd be content to remain over here for some length of time.  Eleven days and nights is such a short time for a guy to woo his girl and win her.  Never the less, I'm hoping that you'll still love me when I return...cause just like MacArthur, I Shall Return.
   By the way honey, next time you see my Dad tell him that I said for him to take you to lunch, for me.  Will you?
   It's 9:20 pm here and 3:20 there in Covington.  I wonder what you're doing.  Since I've about run out of things to talk about unless I go into the subject of "Ich Liebe Dich".  I'll close for tonight with a  pleasant goodnight, sweet dreams and remember...I love you.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment